This delicious soup is the perfect way to warm up after a chilly day. Thick and creamy, it has a wonderful depth of flavor, from the sharpness of the cheddar to the brightness of the broccoli. The original recipe called for this soup to be served in individual sourdough boules, but I simplified the process by topping it off with toast squares instead.
Broccoli cheddar soup with mini sourdough toast squares:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Slices of sourdough bread, for toasting
In a large soup pot, ,melt butter and add onion, cooking until tender. Whisk in flour to create a roux and cook until golden. Gradually whisk in half-and-half until smooth. Add the vegetable stock and simmer about 20 minutes until thickened.
Add the broccoli and carrots and cook another 20 minutes or until vegetables are nice and tender. Puree the soup in a blender in small batches until smooth, then return to pot.
Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. You can add some water to the soup at this point if it seems too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with sourdough toast cut into 1″ squares.
- Lighter (But Just as Tasty) Broccoli Cheese Soup (annashortcakes.com)
- Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Pie (hummusapien.com)