These stuffed mushrooms have been a staple at all of our holiday get-togethers throughout the years. Traditionally, the filling would include crab meat or sausage, but this vegetarian version is every bit as delicious! Wonderful with a flute of champagne (or a glass of beer), these mushrooms make a perfect appetizer for any party.
Meatless Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 16oz package of crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 C butter
- 5 sm. cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 sm. onion, finely chopped
- 2 C Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 4oz smoked provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper
- 3 T olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To prepare mushroom caps, remove stems and gills and reserve in a bowl- these will be going into the stuffing so do not discard! (tip – a small melon baller works perfectly for scooping out the mushroom caps)
Melt 2 T of butter in a skillet. Dice mushroom stems and gills and add to pan with onion and garlic. Saute until tender.
Add cheese, breadcrumbs, ground red pepper and remaining butter to the pan, working everything together until combined. Remove from heat.
Spoon filling into each mushroom cap, dip bottom of cap in oil to prevent sticking and set on baking sheet.
Bake mushrooms for 20 minutes, or until tender. (Time varies depending on the size of the mushrooms.)
- Roasted Stuffed Mushroom Caps (insearchofyummyness.com)
- Meatless Monday: Mouth-Watering Stuffed Mushrooms (centerforlivingpeace.wordpress.com)
- Spinach & Feta Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms by the McCallum’s Shamrock Patch (mccallumsshamrockpatch.wordpress.com)